Thursday, June 12, 2008

Buttery Garlic Rice Mix

I have to share with you all one of my favorite rice dishes to make. I got this from hillbillyhousewife.com. Strange, I know. She has a lot of frugal recipes for mixes and other things made from scratch. I don't buy packaged rice mixes very often because I don't like the preservatives in them so this recipe is an excellent, quick alternative.

Buttery Garlic Rice Mix

1 cup long grain rice or brown rice
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
2 tsp dry parsley

Combine the rice and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. Seal container and label. Store in the pantry. This makes one package of rice mix. Can make several at a time. I tend to just prepare the mix when I'm making the rice for dinner which works well too.

To Prepare:
2 T butter or margarine
1 package rice mix
2 cups water

In a 2 quart sacuepan, combine the margarine, rice mix and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce heat to the lowest possible flame. Simmer, covered until done. White rice should cook for 20 minutes and brown rice for 45 minutes. Serve hot.

We enjoy this with fish alot. It's very good!

No comments: