Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

Of course, another zucchini recipe. I've been getting some wonderful zucchini and summer squash from the garden. My plants are still looking ok and just about every day I go out to find another 2 or 3 good size zucchini. Besides shredding a bunch and freezing it for zucchini bread and muffins throughout the winter months, I'm working on using it in my summer baking. I've never made a chocolate zucchini cake before and this one turned out great. It's a recipe from my aunt that she submitted for a cookbook I was putting together. A great chocolate cake recipe!

Zucchini Chocolate Cake
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp cloves
2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 T cocoa (heaping)
2 cups shredded zucchini
chocolate chips for topping

Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Beat eggs and sugar, add oil and applesauce, vanilla and buttermilk and mix well. Gradually add dry ingredients; mix well. Add zucchini. Pour into a greased and floured pan. Bake at 325 degrees. It is done when toothpick comes out clean. Add chocolate chips when still hot and spread over cake with spatula if desired. If using a 10 x 15 pan, bake 20-30 minutes. If using a 9 x 13 pan, bake 35 to 45 minutes.

No comments: