Friday, August 14, 2009

Carmelized Beets and Garlic

I planted all sorts of vegetables in my garden this year. They aren't all necessarily veggies that I just love or know how to prepare in a way that my husband and I will really enjoy them. Beets is one of those veggies. I thought I liked them, but had never really eaten many beets. My husband had probably never had a beets, but know that he didn't really like them. My first use of beets from my garden this summer was roasting them with other veggies. That was really tasty, though not really beety. Next, I found a recipe for a chocolate cake with beet puree-yummy! Better than I imagined it would be and Ryan really enjoyed it. Now, I found this recipe for Carmelized beets with garlic from Farmgirl Fare, a cute website about a women on a 240 acre farm who loves to cook. This recipe is great and I will definitely make it again. Try it if you have some beets on hand!

Caramelized Beets and Garlic From Farmgirl Fare

Beets
garlic
olive oil

Scrub a bunch of beets and remove skin if desired (if tough and woody). Dice beets into even sized chunks. Drizzle olive oil in a skillet and heat over low heat. Add beets and cook slowly for 45 minutes to an hour; stirring occasionally. When beets are caramelized, push to the side of the skillet and add a couple cloves of chopped garlic to the center. Cook, but do not let brown. Stir into beets and serve.
**Check out the Farmgirl Fare website for more detailed directions!

No comments: