Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fresh Corn-Rice Salad

Tonight we had BLTs for the first time this summer. I've been waiting for the fresh tomatoes from our garden and they're finally ripening. It was such a delicious sandwich! I look forward to more in the next few weeks as my tomatoes continue to ripen. To go with our BLTs I made this yummy rice side dish. I had made it last summer around this time and I thought it was so good. It uses fresh, seasonally available veggies in a great veggie/rice side dish combination. Enjoy!

Fresh Corn-Rice Salad From Better Homes and Gardens

4 ears fresh corn
1 1/2 cups cooked rice, cooled
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup fresh arugula (omitted since I didn't have this)
1 small red onion, cut in thin wedges
1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
2 T. rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 T. olive oil

Husk corn and remove silk with a stiff brush, rinse. Cook corn in boiling, lightly salted water for 3 minutes. Remove corn; let cool. Cut corn off the cob in planks. Combine cooked rice, tomatoes, arugula (if using), onion and jalapeno pepper. Transfer to serving bowl; top with corn. Drizzle vinegar and olive oil over top. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.

No comments: