Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pesto-Stuffed Pork Chops

These were awesome! My husband and I buy pork loin when it is on sale and he cuts it up into roasts and chops so we usually have a good amount of pork loin in the freezer. I had made some pesto this summer from fresh basil I had and froze it to use over the winter. I found this recipe and had most (not all though) ingredients and it sounded too good to not try. It sounds like it would be really complicated to make, but it was actually very simple and smelled so good while cooking. I also made baked potatoes and corn and we had a really good meal that didn't really take much work.

Pesto-Stuffed Pork Chops From Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

3 T crumbled feta cheese (One thing I did not have, I used mozzerella instead, but I'm sure feta would be delicious too)
2 T refrigerated basil pesto
1 T pine nuts, toasted (Also omitted since I didn't have any)
4 pork loin chops or boneless pork loin chops, cut 1 1/4 inches thick
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1 T balsamic vinegar (I actually forgot this step)

For filling, in a small bowl, stir together feta cheese, pesto and pine nuts. Set aside.

Trim fat from chops. Make a pocket in each chop by cutting horizontally from the fat side almost to the bone or the opposite side. Divide filling among pockets in chops. If necessary, secure the openings with wooden toothpicks.

For rub, in a small bowl, combine black pepper, oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper, and thyme. Rub evenly onto all sides of meat (or just on top like I did). Place chops in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes or until the chops are 160 degrees F and juices run clear. Brush vinegar onto chops the last 5 minutes of baking. Before serving, discard toothpicks.

No comments: