Saturday, January 31, 2009

Baked French Toast

I have to do a little catching up, it's been a few days since the last post. I made this french toast this morning for breakfast and it was awesome! I had made some french bread last weekend and had to use it up. It was actually supposed to be started last night, but I didn't think about it until this morning and it still turned out really good. It has a carmelly topping that bakes into it-so yummy! I halved the recipe for 1/2 a loaf of french bread, the originally recipe is for 12 and you can go here for that.



Baked French Toast From Allrecipes.com

1/2 loaf French bread, cut diagonally into 1" slices
4 eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 cup half and half cream (I didn't have this so I used more milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup and 2 T butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 T and 1 1/2 tsp light corn syrup

Butter a 9x13" baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover and refrigerate overnight. (I let sit for about 15-20 minutes, but did not let it sit overnight.)
The next morning, preheat oven to 350. In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes.

No comments: