Saturday, November 21, 2009

Butternut Bisque

I was home alone today, except for the 3 dogs and cat. The hubby went hunting and I spent the day baking for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a busy day that went by quickly and I was very happy that I made this soup for dinner tonight. This was so good! I used carrots and squash grown in my garden this summer which made this extra special.

Butternut Bisque From Simply in Season
2 T butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups winter squash, cooked
1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 cup evaporated milk or additional plain yogurt
2 T maple syrup

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and carrots and saute over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree in blender or food processor in batches the squash, yogurt, evaporated milk and maple syrup. You could also puree the carrot mixture at this point or just add the squash puree mixture to the carrot mixture for a chunkier soup (I didn't puree the carrot mixture and loved this soup). Cook soup over medium heat until hot. Season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder if desired. Garnish with sour cream or plain yogurt.

No comments: