Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bounty Rice

I've been kind of busy around here and am leaving tomorrow night for a 3 day walk in Phoenix, AZ for breast cancer. It's been hectic here, but I've still been doing some cooking and baking. I made this dish for dinner last night to use up some cabbage that I had bought at the farmers market a few weeks ago. Cabbage keeps really well, but I figured it would be best to use it up in a few weeks versus a few months. My husband doesn't really care for cabbage either so I thought I could kind of hide it in this rice casserole. It did turn out really tasty and Ryan did eat the cabbage too!

Bounty Rice From Simply in Season

1/2 to 1 lb ground beef or sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
4 cups canned tomatoes
4 cups shredded cabbage
3 cups cooked rice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Saute meat, onions and green pepper in large frypan until meat is browned and veggies are soft. Add the next 7 ingredients and mix well. Continue cooking on stovetop 10-15 minutes until cabbage is tender or place in large baking dish. Stir in sour cream. If baking, bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes until cabbage is tender and then top with cheese. Continue baking until cheese melts. For stovetop, stir in sour cream and top with cheese. Let melt and serve.

No comments: