Thursday, September 17, 2009

Penne Arrabbiata

I didn't have a lot of time to put dinner together tonight since I was working on making homemade wine. I ordered some grapes from Ace Hardware in town and I got 5 pounds of Frontenac grapes from a local winery. I found this recipe online and decided to give it a try. I'll tell you how it turns out in a few weeks!

After all the wine making I didn't have a lot of time to put dinner together so I pulled out this recipe that I had been wanting to make for a while. It looked relatively quick and simple. It turned out Delicious! I enjoyed using our home grown tomatoes for the sauce too.

Penne Arrabbiata From Grandma's Recipe File
3 medium garlic cloves, divided
3 T olive oil, divided
2 T tomato paste
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes in juice, chopped (I used about 8 medium size fresh tomatoes, chopped)
1 bay leaf
1 T fresh parsley, chopped
1 T fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp salt
1 lb penne, cooked
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Chop 1 garlic clove. Heat 1 T oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes in juice and bay leaf; simmer 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining 2 garlic cloves. Heat 1 T oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until just beginning to turn pale golden, 30 seconds. Add parsley, basil and red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds. Add wine and boil 30 seconds. Stir into tomato sauce and salt; simmer 4 to 5 minutes.

Toss sauce with hot pasta in a large serving bowl. Drizzle pasta with remaining 1 T oil. Serve with cheese and garnish with parsley and basil.

No comments: