Saturday, September 26, 2009

Mexican Rice

I went raspberry picking the other night and brought home 12 pounds of berries. So good! They were turned into jam, wine, frozen berries and frozen puree. The picking took a little longer than expected and I didn't have anything planned for dinner. I thought about stopping and picking up something on my way home, but then remembered this recipe from the cookbook that I put together. It was quick to put together which was a relief since my stomach was looking forward to dinner. The longest part was defrosting and browning the beef. This isn't a very fancy dish, but it is filling and delicious!

Mexican Rice From Cooking for a Cure
1 lb ground beef
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can chili style canned tomatoes (I used plain diced tomatoes)
1 small can tomato sauce
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
Cooked rice

Brown hamburger and add tomatoes, sauce, beans and spices. Let simmer. Cook desired amount of rice. Serve hamburger mixture over rice. Garnish with sour cream, cheese and a dash of hot sauce if desired.

No comments: