Friday, September 25, 2009

Mom's Frittata

Ryan and I enjoy eating meat, but once or twice a week I do like to try and make a meatless dinner. It's usually cheaper and often healthier too. This week, I found a recipe for a frittata in Woman's day. I had garden veggies to use up and this was a delicous alternative to the usual dinners. I had to cook mine a little longer than suggested, but I wanted to make sure that the egg was fully cooked (I hate runny eggs).

Mom's Frittata From Women's Day

2 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup diced potatoes (preboiled or baked)
1 cup chopped onion
8 large eggs
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
Marinara sauce, heated and chopped basil, optional

Turn on broiler. Heat a T oil in a 11 to 12" nonstick skillet. Add vegetables; saute 5 minutes or until almost tender. Whisk egg mixture in a medium bowl. Pour into skillet, shaking pan a bit to distribute evenly. Cover and cook (without stirring) about 4 minutes over medium-low heat, until set on bottom and sides (it will still be runny in center). Wrap skillet handle with foil. Broil 2 minutes or until center is firm. Serve out of skillet or loosen edges and invert onto platter.

No comments: