Saturday, January 23, 2010

Carrot Cake

I absolutely love carrot cake! I think its the combination of spicy moist cake and the yummy, sugary, cream cheesy frosting. It is so good! I don't make it really often, but was having a hankering for carrot cake this last week. I was home one day from work because of the weather so I whipped up a batch. I actually used carrots from my garden that have kept fresh and crisp in my fridge since October if you can believe it. It's pretty amazing to me too! Give this simple recipe a try, you will not be disappointed.

Carrot Cake From Taste of Home Delicious Desserts Cookbook
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup canola oil and it turned out great)
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrot
Frosting: 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir into egg mixture. Beat in vanilla. Stir in carrots. Spread into a 9" or 8" square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Frost cake, store in refrigerator.

No comments: