Thursday, January 7, 2010

Company Mac and Cheese

Today was not a great day. I did enjoy the fact that I took off work today and was home all day, but the reason for my day off was that we had another blizzard out here. My husband is overseas for about the last month and won't be home for another month and this is one of the worst winters we've had in SD in like 50 years. Last winter I think we had maybe 5" of snow in December and this year we had like 25". Now, not only do we have the snow we also have winds blowing at 30 mph and a terrible cold front heading through. Our high today was zero degrees and tomorrow it is supposed to be -7 degrees. I just love winter! So, the weather was getting me down a bit today (luckily I have great neighbors that have been helping with snow removal) and I thought what better to pick me up than some good old comfort food in the form of macaroni and cheese, homemade of course. This recipe is really quite easy to make and is so yummy! It definitely did the trick!

Company Mac and Cheese From Taste of Home
7 oz macaroni
6 T butter, divided
3 T flour
2 cups milk
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp spicy brown mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 T butter in large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to the cheese sauce and stir to coat. Transfer to a 3 qt greased baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: