Friday, January 1, 2010

Basil Pan Burgers

Happy New Year!! I was so fortunate to have my sister here for the last week and celebrate New Years Eve with me. Since hubby is gone overseas for a few months its been kind of lonely around here, but I've been keeping busy with my dogs, cat and work. It was nice to have another person around here for a change. My sister is a great person to have visit too! She helped me start to clean, organize and declutter. I'm trying to get rid of things that I haven't used in ages and will probably never use and that is a specialty of my sister's. She left for WI today and we'll miss her!! While she was here, I made these pan burgers for dinner one night. They were really yummy, kind of like meatloaf in a burger. They went together pretty quick and turned out great. I served these with some sweet potato fries and some green beans from the freezer that grew out in my garden this summer.

Basil Pan Burgers From Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 T fine dry bread crumbs
2 T fresh snipped basil or 1 tsp dried basil, crushed
2 T ketchup
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split

In a medium bowl, combine egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, basil, ketchup, salt, pepper, and garlic. Add beef; mix well. Shape beef mixture into 4 3/4" thick patties.

Lightly coat a heavy skillet with cooking spray or use nonstick skillet. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes or until temperature registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer, turning patties once halfway through cooking. If patties brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium low. Serve on buns with basil leaves and tomato slices, if desired.

No comments: