Thursday, December 17, 2009

Potato Soup

I'm cooking for one right now, for the next few months anyway. I still like to make a good meal, even just for myself. I don't go all out everyday since there are a lot more leftovers feeding just myself, but I do enjoy eating good food and making a yummy meal, even for 1. With the cold weather we've been having, I love a nice hot soup and that's what I made tonight for dinner. This potato soup recipe comes from my Simply in Season book and luckily I still have potatoes and carrots from my garden to include in this delicious soup. I love using the veggies that I grew this summer in the middle of a cold winter!

Potato Soup From Simply in Season

2 T butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cups potatoes, diced
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, diced or shredded
1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, dried majoram, celery salt, dill weed or paprika (I used a mix of a couple of these spices)
2 cups milk
3 T flour
1 cup diced ham, optional
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion. Saute until translucent. Add veggies and spices, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Mix the milk and flour together until smooth. Add to soup and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add ham and cheese if desired.

No comments: