Saturday, December 5, 2009

Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

I was ambitious the other night and made the Italian Venison, mashed potatoes and corn and I even made these bars for dessert. I love desserts, but don't make them too often since I'm busy preparing the rest of dinner and hubby doesn't have a huge sweet tooth. I know I shouldn't be eating the whole pan myself!

These bars were pretty easy to put together and were very yummy. We each ate a few of them and I sent the remaining 2/3 of the pan with my husband to work. They will finish anything there! This is a great recipe if you're looking for a quick, throw together dessert for dinner or a bake sale or unexpected company.

Chocolate Oatmeal Bars From Taste of Home's Quick Cooking
2/3 cup butter softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups quick cooking oats
1 pkg (11 1/2 oz) milk chocolate chips (I used semisweet)
2/3 cup peanut butter
4 Heath candy bars, crushed (I had some toffee bits that I sprinkled on instead, about 1/2 cup)

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add corn syrup and vanilla; beat well. Stir in oats; press into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter; stir until blended. Spread over cooled bars. Sprinkle with crushed candy bars. Refrigerate until set before cutting.

No comments: