Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pear Zucchini Bread

Even though it is just me at home for a few months, I still enjoy baking bread for something quick and yummy to eat in the morning while I drink my coffee. I stashed some shredded zucchini in the freezer from my summer harvest and I recently purchased some pears from a high school student in the FFA. I found this recipe and since I had all the ingredients on hand, I decided I should give it a try. These loaves turned out moist and delicious! A tasty change from regular zucchini bread.

Pear Zucchini Bread From Taste of Home's Quick Cooking
2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I substituted canola oil)
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears (2-3 medium)
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts

In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs, oil and vanilla. Add the pears and zucchini. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in nuts. Pour into 2 greased 9 x5" loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

No comments: