Monday, July 13, 2009

Roasted Vegetables

I pondered what to make for dinner for quite a while tonight. I have a wonderful, productive garden this year, but I"m just not sure how to creatively utilize my produce. I've made many salads: chicken, tuna, 7 layer salad, to use up my romaine lettuce. I made spinach pizza and salad with hot bacon dressing when spinach was coming up like crazy. I made a pea stir-fry last night with the multitude of snow peas that are growing like weeds. Yesterday, I noticed my first beans ready to be picked and my beets are a decent size as well. Today, after giving up that my potato plants really did anything this year, I dug up one of my plants and found a half dozen small red potatoes. I was so excited! The plants looked like they'd been on death's door for a while and I never did notice them flowering. However it worked, I was excited I grew potatoes (especially after I've read it's supposed to be really easy and my plants just didn't look right). I found this recipe in my favorite cookbook and we had a delicous side dish of veggies and herbs grown right in my own backyard. Yum!

Roasted Vegetables From Simply in Season

8-10 cups of fresh vegetables (I used purple beans, beets and red potatoes. You can use any combo of fresh veggies such as squash, onions, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. Just make sure the thinly slice the veggies that would take longer to roast such as the beets and potatoes.)
3 T fresh basil, chopped
2 T fresh cilantro or rosemary, chopped
1 1/2 T fresh thyme, chopped
1 T olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-4 cloves garlic (or garlic powder)

Chop up veggies into bite size pieces and place on jelly roll pan, sprayed with cooking spray. Add the above seasonings and toss to coat. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Delicious! Roasted veggies are so tasty and even my husband who doesn't care for green beans or beets enjoyed this dish.

No comments: