Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Disappearing Zucchini Orzo

Here is another delicious recipe from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Go here for more information on the above book.



My zucchini plants are finally starting to produce. I don't know why they're so far behind this year, but my plants were dying down at this time last year, after getting about 50 pounds of zucchini. This year, I've just gotten a dozen or so small ones but there are many more blossoms so I'm hoping they keep coming!



Ryan loves orzo pasta for some reason and I had some fresh zucchini from the garden so I thought this would be perfect for dinner the other night. In fact, I've been waiting for fresh garden zucchini to try this and it turned out great. Ryan said leftovers for lunch were really good too!



Disappearing Zucchini Orzo
3/4 lb. pkg orzo pasta
1 chopped onion, garlic to taste
3 large zucchini
olive oil for saute
thyme
oregano
1/4 cup grated parmesan or any hard yellow cheese

Bring 6 cups of water or chicken stock to a boil and add pasta. Cook 8 to 12 minutes. Drain. Use a cheese grater to shred zucchini, saute briefly with chopped onion and garlic until lightly golden. Add spices to zucchini mixture, stir thoroughly, and then remove mixture from heat. Combine with cheese and cooked orzo, salt to taste, serve cool or at room temperature.


No comments: