Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rhubarb Muffins

I love rhubarb and it's especially tasty mixed into these muffins. It made a good size batch (1 1/2 dozen) so I stuck some in the freezer for later too!

Rhubarb Muffins From Simply in Season

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk, sour milk or plain yogurt (I used sour cream)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 egg beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup rhubarb, diced
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Topping: 1/4 cup sugar
1 T butter, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp flour

Combine the first 5 ingredients thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients until just moistened. Next add the rhubarb and nuts, stir. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 way full. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of the batter (I decided to omit the topping and they turned out just fine). Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi there!

I made these the other day for Mike and I. I liked them a lot, not too sweet, little healthier with the whole wheat flour. Mike has simply decided that rhubarb is just not his thing. They "aren't bad" according to him...not his typical response to your recipes!

Hope all is well :)
Heather