Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gardening Time!!

I've been gone a while, I know. I've been busy with work (and still am) as well as working on putting together a cookbook for a fundraiser. I'm doing the 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk this November and am working on raising the $2300 needed to participate. I'm getting closer, but still not quite there. My friend and I who are walking together put together a cookbook with recipes from many friends and co-workers called Cooking for a Cure. It's in the production stage and hopefully will be ready in a month or two. Let me know if any of you are interested! All proceeds go toward fighting breast cancer!

Anyway, I have also been busy the last few weeks putting together my garden. I started 4 kinds of tomatoes from seed a few weeks ago as well as green, red, jalapeno and banana peppers. I also have a bunch of flowers started from seed too. It's fun watching everything grow from a tiny little seed. Amazing! I've been busy during the moments that the weather's been cooperating and have already planted potatoes, summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peas, beets, radishes, lettuce, spinach, carrots, onions and honeydew melon. Not too much left to get in! I'm really trying to grow as much of the food that we eat that I can this year. I feel that's better for us and better for the environment. Hopefully I'm successful!

I encourage everyone to try and grow something this year. When we lived in an apartment I grew a couple tomatoes in pots and some peppers as well. It's always so fulfilling to eat something that you produced. Lettuce and spinach is also easy to grow in pots on a balcony if you don't have an area for a garden. Start small with your favorite veggies and enjoy some fresh vegetables this summer from your own backyard!

No comments: