Saturday, November 1, 2008

Apple Sauce

It is nearing the end of apple season. I love baking with and eating apples! Ryan and I went to an apple orchard a few weeks ago and picked the windfall apples (very cheap) and I used them to make a bunch of apples pies as well as some applesauce and some orther delicious apple crisps. I still have a number of them left and I'm sure I'll find many more yummy recipes to use them in. Here's an applesauce recipe that was so easy and so yummy.

Slow Cooker Applesauce from A year of crockpotting

4 large apples
juice from 1 lemon (or about 1 T lemon juice)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 T brown sugar
1/4 c water

Peel, core and quarter apples. Put in crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours. Mash when apples are tender or puree in blender for smoother consistency. I used a 4 quart crock pot and I doubled the recipe. The apples really cook down. This sauce is slightly sweet, but not too sweet with a slight vanilla flavor. It is really good. You could easily freeze or can it as well.

No comments: