Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chicken Tetrazzini

Yesterday was my husband and I 3rd wedding anniversary. I can't believe how quickly 3 years goes by. I'm so fortunate that I have such a wonderful, loving husband!

I decided to make dinner at home since I can make a delicious meal for a fraction of the cost of going out to eat. I really like to cook and dinner came together rather quickly since I planned the night before what it would be. We enjoyed this chicken tetrazzini recipe with garlic bread made from some of the leftover french bread I baked the day before, snow peas (picked from our garden and frozen a few months ago) sauteed in a butter garlic sauce and peanut butter pies with yummy chocolate that I picked up at the bakery. We had a great dinner and a great anniversary!

Chicken Tetrazzini From Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

8 oz dried spaghetti or linguine
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced green onion or regular onion
2 T butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cups half and half (can substitute cream or milk)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
2 T dry sherry (optional)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (I chopped mine up and did not toast)
2 T snipped fresh parsley

Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook mushrooms and onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, pepper, salt and nutmeg. Add broth and half and half all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken, sherry and half of the cheese. Gently stir in spaghetti. Transfer pasta mixture to a 2 quart rectangle baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

No comments: