Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

I have been doing a little baking again lately. I've found that I kind of miss it a little and thankfully have been feeling better, less nausea and more energy. A friend of mine had posted this recipe on facebook and since I had all the ingredients I thought I'd give it a try. They turned out so yummy and moist! A delicious breakfast treat.

Pumpkin Apple Muffins
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax seed meal (or an additional 1/2 cup flour)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 T pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil...I actually substituted applesauce for all the oil)
2 c. peeled, cored and chopped apples

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place paper liners or coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray. In a large bowl, sift together flour, flax, 1 c. sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, mix eggs, pumpkin and oil. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Fold in apples. Spoon into muffin cups. In a small bowl, mix 2 T. flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake for 35-40 minutes until set.

No comments: