Friday, January 18, 2008

General Tsao's Chicken

This is a delicious chinese dinner recipe I got from my mom. I think she may have gotten it from a Weight Watcher's cookbook, but I'm not sure. I've made it for my husband and I before and we loved it!

3/4c. canned chicken broth (reduced sodium)
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. sugar
2 T low-sodium soy sauce
1 T. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger (don't send ground ginger powder all over the kitchen like I did as I was opening the spice bottle!)
2 tsp. peanut oil
2 medium scallions, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 pound uncooked chicken breasts, boneless and skinless cut into chunks
2 cups cooked white rice

In medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside. Heat oil over medium high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve chicken over rice.

Yummy!

No comments: