Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bacon Cheeseburger Chowder

Well, it is freezing here, -6 degrees at 11 am. I made this soup a few weeks ago and it is great for cold days like today. I have some in the freezer as this makes a lot! I'm going to thaw it out and finish it up since it is just me and Ryan is in Hawaii. I'll let you know how it tastes the second time around.

4 cups diced potatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans cream-style corn
1/2 pound diced bacon
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup butter
4 cups half and half or milk (I used 2 cups regular half and half and 2 cups fat free)
2 cups velveeta cheese cubes
1/2 cup flour

Place first 6 ingredients in kettle (make sure it is a large kettle-this filled my new Rachel Ray pot to the top). Just cover with water and cook until vegetables are tender. Add cream-style corn. While vegetables are cooking, brown bacon; drain. Brown ground beef; drain. In microwave, make a white sauce of butter, half and half, cheese and flour. I'd microwave for a few minutes and then mix and continue until it was about all melted. Pour over vegetables, stirring often so it thickens evenly. Add bacon and ground beef. Stir to mix and serve.
It's really filling so you don't need much else with it.

No comments: